Friday, December 12, 2008

Second Port of Call-Ochio Rios, Jamaica

Mariner Docked in Ochio Rios, Jamaica


The landscape in Ochio Rios. Very beautiful!

Jamaica is a beautiful island with fun and colorful people. We docked in Jamaica and found our local tour guide we had booked, named Mark Morris of Mark Morris Tours. He was so fun and so knowledgeable we had a fantastic time. We traveled with a two other couples from Oxford, England.


Dave, Lori and Mark Morris of Marks Morris Tours
(Yes, I can't believe I am posting a full length picture of me in a bathing suit on my blog!) CRAZY!


The highlight of the day was climbing the 600 foot Dunns River falls. You basically make a human chain and a Jamaican local guides up the falls. It as so fun and very cold. The guides are extremely lively and fun, with their "Yah Mon, no trouble Mon".



The Guide who was taking our picture kept saying "Kiss your woman, Kiss your woman!" I know it is cheesy, but I think this picture is so cute!

Very Fun and Very COLD!


After the falls we went sight seeing, and then Dave and I went tubing down the White River. I wish I could have gotten pictures of that but I had no way to keep the camera dry. It was very beautiful though.



A beautiful beach in Jamaica during our sightseeing



When our tour guide picked us up, he had a fresh coconut for us to have some coconut milk. Very cool. Afterward he took us to his Fathers house, who makes pottery. This is very big in Jamaica. He showed us how the pottery comes to be, from beginning to end. After that Mark took us to a local joint for some authentic Jamaican Jerk Pork, and some rice and beans which they call peas and beans. Very spicy but very good.


After that we headed back to the boat after a long and great day soaking up some of the local flavors and colors of Jamaica.


That night we did not go to the dining room for dinner, but had a reservation to one of the speciality restaurants on board called Chops. It is a steakhouse and the food was out of this world. Easily the best steak I have ever had.

I was thinking about getting a baked potato but it was it was huge. Probably at least 2 lbs....I kid you not. It could have just been a meal in its self. Dave and I decided to share some mashed potatoes. We both had the 10 oz Fillet Mignon and topped off the evening with a piece of Mississippi Mud Pie that I am still dreaming about, and probably will be for a while. Some of the best money we spent the entire trip.

No comments: